About the Author
Elizabeth Hoyt is a New York Times bestselling author of historical romance. She also writes deliciously fun contemporary romance under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in central Illinois with three untrained dogs, two angelic but bickering children, and one long-suffering husband.
About the Book
To Taste Temptation is the first book in Hoyt’s four-book series, The Legend of the Four Soldiers. It is the story of a wealthy Colonial merchant, Samuel Hartley, who is searching for the man who betrayed his regiment, and elegant London widow, Lady Emeline Gordon, who can’t resist the temptation of a dangerous man. Publishers Weekly writes about To Taste Temptation: “Hoyt…is firmly in control of her craft with engaging characters, gripping plot and clever dialogue.” To Taste Temptation is followed by To Seduce a Sinner, To Beguile a Beast, and To Desire a Devil.
1. In what ways does the Iron Heart fairy tale compliment the main story? What did you think of the fairy tale? Did it add to the book or not?
2. In many ways Sam is a fish out of water in London society. Why then do you think that Emeline is attracted to him?
3. What is Tante Cristelle’s role in the book?
4. How does class and status affect the events in the book? Which characters represent the upper class in England? Which represent the lower class?
5. How do you think Emeline feels about Jasper? Do her feelings for him change through the book?
6. Why do you think Sam likes to run? What does running represent to him?
7. Why is Emeline initially angry with Sam when they first make love? Is she still upset with him afterwards?
8. Why are Sam and Jasper so obsessed with the massacre at Spinner’s Falls? How does their obsession impact the story?
9. Why do you think Jasper felt he should marry Emeline? Do you think Emeline chose the best man for her?
10. Was the book’s ending fulfilling for you?